Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A European memory

Do you want to escape to Europe for just an hour? If so, I have a wonderful suggestion for you.

Last week, while in the Copley Square area of Boston, I suddenly recalled that I had heard that there was a café and restaurant at the Boston Public Library. Since it was nearly time for lunch, and I hadn’t been inside this gorgeous old building for a few years, I decided to investigate. The café is called Sebastian’s Map Room Café and you can purchase sandwiches, salads, fruit, beverages, etc and sit down and eat them in the café, or if you are as fortunate as I, to experience a spectacular cloudless summer day, you can take out your food to the courtyard , which is set in the midst of magnificent architecture, sculptures and gardens, and sit at comfortable wrought iron tables and chairs and enjoy a peaceful respite. As soon as I sat down I felt my memory transporting me back to similar settings in Europe, only here I was, in downtown Boston! Please realize that although the food at the café was quite tasty, it was more the ambiance than the food that recalled those wonderful times in Europe.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds wonderful! I will have to go here someday.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Dora

    ReplyDelete