Friday, May 1, 2009

Staging a last minute picnic

On a recent visit to my son and his family in Michigan, my daughter-in-law, 6 year old granddaughter and I put together a delectable picnic supper in a very short amount of time. Since it was both delicious and enjoyable I thought that I'd share what we did so that you might be inspired to stage your own last minute picnic. We first went to a wonderful Italian grocery/gourmet shop and purchased some cold cuts, cheeses and freshly baked breads. When we got home my daughter-in-law roasted some asparagus and green beans, which she had drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar, olive oil and spices. (She roasted both veggies on the same large cookie sheet so there was very little clean up.) While she did that my granddaughter and I made fruit kabobs for dessert. We cut up chunks of watermelon, mango and pineapple and threaded them on 6" skewers alternately with green grapes and strawberries. We also made a quick and tasty yogurt dip to accompany the kabobs. A bag of potato chips, some mustards, sparkling water and wine were added to the cooler and we were all set. Not only did the adults enjoy their dinner, but it greatly appealed to my granddaughter and her 2½ year old brother as well. Everyone enjoyed being outdoors and there were no dishes to clean or crumbs to vacuum!

No comments:

Post a Comment